Skip to main content

How to write a University essay

Many of my friends are looking to start University in September and so I thought it would be a great idea to give some advice and guidance to them for when they start doing their essays. I remember when I first did mine; I was really nervous and thought that perhaps it wouldn't be good enough, but I was very wrong. There is always time throughout the year to improve your writing. Hope you enjoy my tips and take them on board!

  • Understanding the assignment 
Read the assignment brief several times to make sure you understand what it asks you to do, and follow it as closely as possible. I used to tick off the parts of the criteria that I had successfully incorporated into my essay. Structure it with the correct headings and reference structure too (more on that later). If there is literally anything about it that you don't understand, never be afraid to email the lecturer in charge, or go and speak to them in person. (Trust me, its not that scary.)

  • Gathering resources 
The library is literally your best friend at University. Be sure to gather up any resources from the library that you need, and make use of the working space around the uni. Sometimes its great to get away from a noisy student flat or a noisy family home (wherever you may be staying whilst at uni) and it may help your focus if you use the study rooms or the library itself if its not too busy! Do not use website sources because you will not get good grades. You are allowed to reference them to some extent, but you won't really be able to form a very solid essay from it. Take as many books away as you think you need, and obviously remember to bring them back too!

  • Use of language 
In one of my first lectures, we were looking at and analysing some poems, and were asked to email a short response to one of the poems as practise. I remember reading a few of them noticing that there were a lot of unnecessary sophisticated, long words in them, as if they had been sat with a thesaurus changing every other word to sound more 'clever.' In my feedback, I always got told that my writing style was 'solid' and 'clear' which is what they expect of you in University. I feel like my writing style is a bit 'basic,' but despite feeling like that was an issue, I was actually saving some marks. One of my lectures in a second year lecture actually brought this up as what not to do in an essay. You do not need to use too many strong words, obviously use good vocabulary, so not using slang, or informal words like 'didn't' or 'kind of,' but don't over use words!

  • Critical ability
This is something that will be developed throughout your time at uni and its a key skill. I recommend researching on YouTube or maybe even completing a short course on how to write arguments. Most essays are formatted in the classic, introduction, body, conclusion. It depends what subject you're doing, and it depends what the assignment is about. Incorporate quotes from researches within your subject. For example, King (1998) says... Smith (2000) argues that... This evidence show that... (so your opinion; don't use words like 'I think' unless its supposed to be a first person assignment.)

  • Referencing 
Lets face it- none of us like doing this, but make sure that it is accurate. There is nothing worse than getting this part wrong and we all know why. Make sure that you know from the start how to reference and how to create a bibliography- and don't do what I did this one time and forget to put one in! You usually get marks for the range of resources that you use. You can use books, ibooks, journal articles, YouTube videos... you name it. Listen to what is recommended, and perhaps use resources given to you in a lecture (obviously don't copy what the lecturer has written about in a PowerPoint for example). 

  • Before you submit - ALWAYS do this!
People are going to hate me for saying this, but you MUST proof read your essay! Or any writing at University! I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I went against this and lost marks as a result. In some of the assessment criteria, it will specifically say that poor academic practise will result in lost marks. Most assessments will state 'must be proof read.' You don't necessarily have to get family members, friends, lecturers or members of any student achievement team you have at your uni to read them every time, you can also just have a read through yourself to make sure there are no typos, grammar mistakes, missed out words etc. You may even find that you could add or remove aspects of the essay because you aren't as happy with it.   


Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profile Interview: A life of a successful physics professor

Photo by  Ivy Barn  on  Unsplash Sat comfortably in the quiet dining room of my small village house, professor of medical physics, Angela Newing describes how wonderful her career journey has been and the privileges she has had along the way. She speaks in a tone that instantly hints the hard work and dedication she has put into her career along the years, mostly looking down at the table and taking herself back to the very beginning. Now living in Stroud, Gloucestershire, she tells me about working in a time when women were perhaps not encouraged to enter the world of science. Born in London during the war, Newing had an enjoyable childhood with her older brother who claims with laughter and pride that she did "everything better than him." They were inseparable. This was the start of Newing's drive and determination to lead a successful career in medical physics. "I think my first memory in Woburn, and I was fairly tiny, was when we arrived at the back d...

Things to do in Lockdown: FaceTime Your Favourite Celebrity?

Last night I had the honour of meeting one of my all-time favourite singers, Meghan Trainor. I was first introduced to her in 2014 when she released 'All About That Bass.' One of my friends at secondary school had showed me that video at the time it went viral. When she released her second single, I became a massive fan of her work and she became a role- model to me. I watched interviews where she would talk about how she pursued a career in music, and how she came to love herself after a lot of the typical 'teenage insecurity.' I was of course facing this at the time due to bullying at school. I still face a lot of low self- confidence today and her music really helps with that. I found out on Twitter that she had been doing charity events for Feeding America and I really wanted to get involved. I've also seen some other celebrities participating such as the cast of one of my favourite sit- com's, Friends. I instantly downloaded the App in hopes to g...

First person Feature: My Bullying Story and how I made it through

Secondary school is usually labelled as the “best years of your life” and a time where you learn about yourself and what you are capable of for the future. This was certainly not the experience I had, and I certainly would not give what I experienced in the early stages of school a positive label. The bottom line is that I went through years of hating myself due to persistent bullying in secondary school. Of course, none of this was going to help me to become who I truly wanted to be in the future, but it did make me stronger. Every day I would be faced with name calling. I would walk through a busy playing field on my way to my next lesson and within seconds, I would hear loud voices, sneering and laughing coming from behind buildings and before I knew it, I would be surrounded by people. I felt so helpless and I never really knew which way to turn. I would not be spoken to or sat next to in class because I was 'too ugly' and 'nobody liked me'. I felt res...